As the world continues to move at a rapid speed, it is important to find time for stillness. Here are a few simple ways you can start to find more space within and freedom from a busy mind.
1. Unplug – A challenge, please unplug from the internet and your phone for 1 hr, no checking no swiping.
2. Journal – Grab a sheet of paper and write down the following things:
- 3 Things you are grateful for.
- 3 Things that will happen today, or that you would like to happen today.
- 3 Things that you are good at, it could be something small.
3. Meditation – Remember this is always a practice. You might find your mind wandering or think you are not “doing it right” – remember that just taking time to try is progress. If you are loving meditation, check out the Headspace App.
- 2 minutes with your eyes open, softly focused on the space around you and slowing your breath.
- 5 minutes with your eyes closed focused on your breath. If it helps, count your breath until you reach 10 and start again at 0.
- 5 minutes Focus on the things you are thankful for in your life, even if it is something small like your ability to hear, smell, touch and sense the world around you.
4. Move – If you have the ability to carve out a few extra moments, get up and take a walk. Movement for 30 minutes combined with the outdoors and fresh air could change your entire day. Use this time to continue your morning meditation. Focus on nothing except each step you are taking, be thankful for each step.
5. Love – If at any moment during this morning’s meditation you were prompted or thought about a friend or family member, reach out and let them know. Loving others well is part of loving yourself and the world around you. Share what you learned about yourself and discuss.